Saturday, October 17, 2009

Sports, Education, Arts

One day during my lunchtime, I sat on a chair in some food court, waiting for my lunch to be served. As I was holding my wallet and saw it from its top, I could see different colors of the banknotes that I had. 2 dollars, 10, and 50. I only intended to take a glance on each note, and as I started with the $10, I found what was printed more interesting than merely its color.

On the reverse side of the $10 note, I found 5 people, each of them doing different kinds of activities: sailing, swimming, soccer, badminton and running. On the bottom-left of the note was printed in capitals "Sports".

Now let's take a look on Indonesia's own banknote. We can find Maitara and Tidore Islands on the Rp 1.000 note, along with Pattimura, and it shows how we, as a nation, appreciate the Islands of Maluku. It works the same for Singapore. The people here appreciate Sports very much. Many times the media mentioned the country's vision of being one of the top 10 sporting nations in Asia by 2010. We can also see the lifestyle of the citizens here has a lot of sports activities. Seeing the five different sports on one frame made me proud of being here.

Next I took the $2 note, and it has "Education". Considering the fact that $2 notes are the smallest amount and oftenly seen (well, perhaps I'm saying from the "not-so-high" class point of view), the importance of education seems to be highly regarded by the people here. And yes, I would mention that Singapore has one of the best education in Southeast Asia.

The last banknote that was in my wallet was the $50 note. It was "Arts". Again this fact shows how the people here appreciate arts. Came into our mind easily would be Esplanade, where Phantom of The Opera and CATS, as well as Turandot and La Traviatta had been performed before. I always appreciate arts on the same level as sports; the balanced portion of the two will shape a good character of a man, but of course it is not for me to argue why "Arts" is presented on a higher amount of banknote.

Sports, Education and Arts. All of us should realize that they are equally important for the future of any country.

I have been searching to find the different banknotes of this country. You should know why I am checking them out after reading up to this point. For those who are curious, $5 turns out to be "Garden City". Recently I also found a $100 dollar note, and curiously checked out what was printed there... and when I flipped it...

"Youth"

Wow, wow, wow. This country is truly amazing.

No comments: